Maternal & Child Health
Maternal Child and Health Services are traditionally the responsibility of local government, however in 2004 the service for residents of the Hindmarsh Shire was transferred to West Wimmera Health Service. This unique situation provides many benefits for those living in the Shire's catchment area, including those in Jeparit, Nhill, Rainbow and Dimboola.
For people living in the Shire of West Wimmera, including those in Goroke and Kaniva, please click here or contact the Shire directly. For those in the Horsham Rural City Council area, including Natimuk, please click here or contact the council directly.
WWHS Maternal & Child Health Services
WWHS provides comprehensive support for women throughout pregnancy and after the birth and also for families with young children through at least their first five years.
WWHS Maternal & Child Health Services include:
- Pregnancy Care Clinics which take place every Wednesday morning at Nhill Hospital and by appointment at Jeparit & Rainbow.
Contact (03) 5391 4267 for more information regarding Pregnancy Care Clinics
- Antenatal classes for women and their partners to impart confidence and an understanding of what to expect during pregnancy, childbirth and afterwards are conducted when numbers permit.
- Antenatal education is incorporated in the Pregnancy Care Clinics.
- Visits to the family home after childbirth.
- Regular contact between the nurse and child over the child's first five years to assess the child's physical and developmental progress.
- Support for parent groups and weekly playgroups.
- Support for immunisation programs.
For more information contact:
Maternal & Child Health Nursing / Maternal & Child Health coordinator
Phone: 03 5391 1287